Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm a drinkin', bloggin' fool

Tonight I'm working on my third glass of Jindalee Chardonnay, an Australian wine plucked out of the great year 2004.

Jindalee is another $10 wine I picked thanks to its cute label, but it's a pretty good white, if you're in the mood for something kinda fruity and light. I tried to get Phil to try it by saying that it tasted like sparkling cider. I think he could tell that I was lying, because it doesn't really taste like cider. It tastes more like alcoholic pineapple juice, only without all the pineapple. It's pretty good, but it's kind of forgettable, which is sort of how I feel about most white wines.

I'm such a red snob.

I had a nice chardonnay back in Nashville at Rumba when I was visiting Kristin, and the server asked us, as we were tasting it, if it was buttery. It was, decidedly do.

But for some reason, I have this neurotic impulse when drinking wine to instantly lose all sense of critical taste when asked about what I'm experiencing (hence, in part, this blog, meant to hone my tastes). That is, I couldn't tell the server one way or the other if the damn wine was buttery, because I was afraid I was being trapped. It's the height of ridiculous, I know, but I am always on guard that someone is going to try to trick me into saying something profoundly stupid about the wine I'm drinking, like some server is going to delight in my monumental ignorance about wine and its pretentious everything and try to make me look dumber than I'll readily admit I am.

Why any random bar attendant would go to such trouble is anyone's guess; but I'm always assuming that someone is making fun of my winely ignorance. That's how paranoid about my ignorance I am.

Dear God, I'm insane.

So, yeah, this Jindalee. It's definitely NOT buttery, but is certainly fruity and I taste some apple and strawberry in there, but I could totally be making that up, because I haven't read the label yet.

Okay, I just read the label and I was sort of close. There's peach accents and Jindalee has something to do with cod ... blah blah blah. Did I mention I'm on my third glass?

So, yeah, Jindalee is a decent cheap wine but I wouldn't seek it out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Chardonnay fan. It seems rather flat and boring. Dan loves it. For an interesting and out of the ordinary white experience try a Gewurtztraminer. I'm positive that you tried it once at my apartment, but I can't recall if you liked it. Phil might, as it is quite a bit more like a sparkling cider than Chardonnay could ever hope to be.
But I do love the reds myself, so I can't blame you if Gewurtztraminer isn't your bag.

Since this is a wine blog I feel compelled to share that I am on my fourth glass of a Cabernet Sauvignon.

9/20/2006 5:44 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

I'll make Gewurtztraminer my next mission. And then I'll make pronouncing it correctly my next mission after that.

9/25/2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home